Artificial intelligence (AI) is the ability of a computer program or a machine to think and learn. It is also a field of study which tries to make computers “smart”. … In general use, the term “artificial intelligence” means a machine which mimics human cognition.
Computers are great at some things but not others. So it’s no surprise building computers that are intelligent is complicated. Scientists and programmers are busy trying to make computers have artificial intelligence, the ability to gain and apply knowledge and skills. Artificial intelligence also is called AI.
How AI Is Used?
There are many interesting projects with computers and artificial intelligence.
- MIT has a project called DragonBot which helps young kids learn.
- The Wikipedia online reference site also uses artificial intelligence to help in their article editing process.
- The Associated Press uses software from Automated Insights to write thousands of articles.
- Smart Cars – In the near future, driving cars will be automated .The sensors and software will blend together to create artificial intelligence.
- Virtual Personal Assistants – Siri, Cortana, and other personal assistant software use information stored on multiple computers connected to the internet that can act as one computer. This makes a vast network of data and processing power available to answer queries in real time.
Is Artificial Intelligence Good or Bad?
As with any new technology, whether or not artificial intelligence software will be good or bad for humanity is an open question. Definitely AI software will put people out of jobs. And it is equally certain AI will create jobs, for example, programming and fixing robots.
It is possible software and machines with artificial intelligence also will treat people unfairly and kill people. This is already a reality. In the world before software and intelligent computers, people acted unfairly and worse towards people, willfully and based on lack of information or misinformation. Perhaps the more interesting question is how humans will set limits for intelligent In computers and how those limits will be enforced.
So your smartphone, your car, your bank, and your house all use artificial intelligence on a daily basis. AI is everywhere, and it’s making a huge difference in our lives every day.
Some more reading –