Sleeping well directly affects your mental and physical health and the quality of your waking life. Fall short and it can take a serious toll on your daytime energy, productivity, emotional balance, and even your weight.
Lack of sleep = Stress on the body,weight gain, premature aging, hair loss, hormone imbalances and lowered immune function.
First let us understand why we don’t get good sleep in the night
As per Sleep Health Foundation the followings are the main reasons –
- Taking sleep for granted – Many people do not realize the importance of sleep schedule. Instead, they may think of it as a waste of time.
- Too much caffeine, alcohol and sleeping tablets – The caffeine in tea and coffee is a stimulant that prevents you sleeping well. Alcohol may make you drowsy, but your sleep will be very restless.
- Shift work – Many workers have shifts that keep changing. This makes it harder to get into a regular sleep pattern
- Stress -Day to day living can be stressful. This can interfere with sleep.
- Sleep disorders – Sleep disorders such as insomnia, sleep bug and restless legs can be very bad for your sleep. They may not be recognized for years.
Some basics tips for getting good sleep
- Sleep Schedule – Follow a regular schedule to live a happier, healthier life.Try to go to sleep and get up at the same time every day. This helps set your body’s internal clock and optimize the quality of your sleep
- Physical Exercise – People who exercise regularly sleep better at night and feel less sleepy during the day. Regular exercise also improves the symptoms of insomnia and sleep apnea and increases the amount of time you spend in the deep, restorative stages of sleep.
- Dinner – Be smart about what you eat and drink.For some people, a light snack before bed can help promote sleep. For others, eating before bed can lead to indigestion and make sleeping more difficult.
- Create a transition routine – This is something you do every night before bed. It could be as simple as short walk,turning off the lights, turning down the heat, washing your face and brushing your teeth Or it could be a meditation exercises.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows – Make sure your mattress is comfortable and supportive. The one you have been using for years may have exceeded its life expectancy – about 9 or 10 years for most good quality mattresses.